HOME  >>  Historic Spots / Hiroshima City  >>  Old Yunoyama Hot Spring Spot

Old Yunoyama Hot Spring Spot

 According to the Origin of Minochi Hot Springs in Saeki-gun, published in
the Kanen era (1748-1751), Yunoyama Hot Springs gushed out on New Year's
Day of 1707. Judging from a statement in the same book that its water gushed
out again in 1748, the spring may have dried up for a while sometime after 1707.
In 1749, Hiroshima-han erected houses for hot spring bathing, a shrine for the
hot spring god and a place for people to worship the god. In June of the same
year, it is said there were 37 inns, including temporary houses.
 In August of 1749, a Confucian scholar, Seishu Hori, visited Yunoyama Hot
Spring and wrote Reisenki. According to the book, the present hot spring was
originally for men, with another for women. On New Year's Day of 1750, the
lord of Hiroshima-han visited Yunoyama Hot Springs, and many succeeding
lords and celebrities have followbd since then.
 In 1797, the painter, Minzan Oka drew a scenic picture of Yunoyama Hot
Springs, which remains in his collection, Tsushimi Orai Nikki (diary of visiting
cities). In the picture, Minzan depicted the place where people worship the
Yunoyama Myojin hot spring god in such a way that the haiden (chapel) looked
like a gate with a steep stone stair going right through its center, leading up to
the honden (main building). In his drawing, the stone stair had a roof, which
seems to have burned down in a later year. Since 1952, when the public bathing
area was rebuilt, visitors even from outside of Hiroshima Prefecture have come
to enjoy the hot spring.
The preserved hot spring house that Lord Asano also used for bathing (Photograph taken circa 1994)


The preserved hot spring house that Lord Asano also used for bathing (Photograph taken circa 1994)


 Hot water comes out of rock faces where entry is prohibited. The temperature of the spring water stays around 24. From the old days many have believed that the water of the hot spring god is good for curing numerous diseases. The hot spring bathing house built in 1749 still remains today. The site is designated by Hiroshima Prefecture as an important tangible folk cultural property and a historic site.
Address 471, Kami-yunoyama, Wada, Yuki-cho, Saeki-ku, Hiroshima City
Access Take a bus bound for Yuki from Itsukaichi Station (Sanyo line); get off at Ohashi, transfer to a bus bound for Yunoyama Onsen, and get off at Yunoyama Onsen Iriguchi; a 5-minute walk.
Map Click here.